Around ten years ago, I met Laurie Evans. How lucky I am! Laurie is one of those souls that EVERYONE wants to be friends with. Somehow, I got her to call me friend too.
Here are a few reasons I love Laurie:
- She's a foodie. When we lived in Arizona, and Ken was job hunting and out of town, Laurie and I would get together and watch Lost (another story - I will never forgive the producers of Lost for how they ruined a great show) and eat. We'd make recipes we wanted to try (usually involving chocolate), and gobble them down late at night (she also introduced me to Richard Castle during this time).
- Laurie KNOWS good books and tv. This is a rare gift. If Laurie recommends something, it's golden and I know it will be worth my time. To this day, The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favorite books - and I laugh when I think of Laurie's love of revenge books.
- Her laugh. Laurie sees the GOOD in life, and she knows how to laugh and make me laugh. Maybe it's because we're both snarky - but I laugh at everything for hours when we get together.
- Laurie's testimony. She has a firm faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ, the atonement, and the plan of happiness. She is a great example to me about living a Christ-centered life, and she does it (to me) effortlessly.
- Her resilience. Four years ago, just after we moved to Virginia, Laurie called me to tell me she she had cancer. During that time we'd gotten together for our food and Castle/Lost tv nights, Laurie's health started getting bad. Later she found out she had a tumor (22.5 pounds by surgery) in her abdomen.
Four years later, Laurie just had her fourth surgery to remove yet another growing tumor(s). Insurance problems, time off work, and high medical costs leaves Laurie struggling. Really, the only thing anyone with cancer should struggle with is survival.
Laurie is a surviver. And she does it with a smile on her face, optimism in the face of discouragement, and hope that the world is a great place full of loving, charitable people. Oh, and she still has her snarky charm as well.
Today I was lucky to gather with friends to have a small car wash to help fund Laurie's cancer costs (I'd rather fund her stash of peanut-butter chocolate Easter eggs, or her movie collection, but we'll have to do that after she defeats this cancer). It was so fun seeing one of my favorite people ever!
We gathered at a local McDonalds and the kids worked hard and washed lots of cars.
It was a hot day. The kids also played hard while they waited for cars to wash.
And here's Kimmie - the amazing friend who organized the carwash for Laurie.
If you want to help Laurie, aka Cancer Girl, and help prove that there is still major good in this world, you CAN! Just click on this link to her blog, enjoy her witty humor, be inspired by her optimism, and find refreshment in her candor. And maybe donate to her cancer fun while you're at it!




1 comment:
Oh, My. I love you! More than I can say, I love you. Thank you -- for everything.
Post a Comment